SHAYLA AND JAMES

SHAYLA AND JAMES
The best day ever

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Post#13-Inst. 4010:Evaluating websites

Our assignment this week, was evaluating "an elementary school web site, a web site that provides lesson ideas for teachers, an informational web site that gives basic information about an elementary level topic,and an interactive web site that allows students to practice a specific skill or knowledge concerning an elementary level topic."
I actually really enjoyed this assingment. After looking closely at each rubric-evaluation form, I decided the one I liked best was the cyberbee matriz. It was clear, had great format, and I was easily able to focus my attention to the specific criteria asking me to evaluate. I then began the task, of looking at differnt websites that I needed.
The four I decided to evaluate were the following:
1. http://www.he.weber.k12.ut.us/ (school website)
2. http://www.coolmath4kids.com/ (informational website)
3. http://www.theteacherscorner.net/ (lessons for teachers website)
4. http://www.ilike2learn.com/ (interactive website)
I did enjoy all four sites, however as I evaluated them, I found myself to be more critical and focused at the specific websites. I choose Hooper Elementary as a school website because it was my own elementary school that I attended, and I was curious how "up with the times that they weree." I was impressed that they were, but a little disappointed with their website. It was not super exciting or fun, but not so boring that I fell asleep:) I think with some more graphics, and color this website would be better.
With teacherscorner, I liked the setup, but was really irritated that I could not find some information so easily-meaning the web site designers-author. I looked all over, but nothing. I think this website would be better, if you could find the information more accessible.
I really enjoyed cool math 4 kids website. It was fun and easy to access the information. It is a great site, and tool for kids to use, with practicing and doing math. Although the colors were super bright-almost distracting, but fun.
i like to learn website, actually taught me alot. I enjoyed this website, and testing my knowledge with geography. It was fun and educational.
I am really glad we could have such an assigment. This assignment made me appreciate the importance of evaluation-as a future teacher for her classroom, also as a future parent. It made me more aware, of what is important about a website, that is reliable, organized, helpful, and most appropriate.

No comments: